The following is an open letter written to the SJSU chapter of Alpha Xi Delta, a sorority which has been raising money for Autism Speaks on my campus:
Dear SJSU chapter of Alpha Xi Delta,
Earlier today I learned about Alpha Xi Delta's efforts to raise money for autism. As an autistic woman I understandably feel that this is a worthy goal and that as much money and effort should be contributed as is necessary to ensure that myself, and individuals such as myself, are able to exercise our civil rights to participate in society as equals with our neurotypical brothers and sisters.
In this, I applaud you and thank you.
I do, however, have concerns. Understand that I, like every autistic person, am a human being and as such have humanity. Understand that I, like every autistic person, have a voice as well. As an autism self-advocate I am concerned with your choice of Autism Speaks. I am concerned that you affiliate yourselves with an organization which has consistently and systematically denied us our humanity, portraying us as tragedies incapable of true human interaction or empathy who destroy and scourge the families and communities which we are thrust into, while silencing our ability to speak for ourselves.
Additionally, I am concerned that an organization affiliated with my campus would associate themselves with an organization whose publicity materials actively encourage an image of tragedy, invalidity, and subhumanity.
As an autistic person I feel these messages, which you are indirectly endorsing, directly undermine my dignity, humanity, and civil rights.
I refer you to a letter decrying Autism Speaks which is undersigned by no less than 67 state, national, international, and local autism and disability organizations and services:
http://www.autisticadvocacy.org/modules/smartsection/item.php?itemid=61
Earlier today myself and another autistic individual attempted to voice our concerns regarding Autism Speaks with members of your organization during your bake sale fundraiser. I feel we were met with hostility and that our voice and experiences were dismissed as invalid and that instead we were instructed on what we, as autistic people, ought to "understand."
We are human beings and, as such, we ask that you empower us by selecting organizations which respect our humanity, which encourage our diversity, and which respect our ability to make decisions both in our own lives and in our own quest for civil rights. At the very least we ask that you do not actively undermine our efforts as you do by supporting Autism Speaks.
Sincerely,
[name redacted]
Hello world!
1 year ago
2 comments:
I was able to pick up an online newsletter of the chapter. (the April 2009 Quill).
They (the sorority) decided to support Autism Speaks in April 2009. So it is a very recent philantrophy.
Their history has had to do with lung disease and in 1992 there was a saying/aim about "Choosing Children".
Apparently they have earnt a lot of money (a six-figure sum) for the Walk Now for Autism and been nominated as a top team.
The information here comes from pages 5-10 in the Summer 2009 issue of The Quill.
http://bluetoad.com/publication/?i=20239
Good on you for putting a link to the Autistic Self-Advocacy Network.
Thanks for the info, I was not aware that their efforts were so recent. The way they made it sound when I talked to them in person made it sound like they had been doing it for years.
"Choosing Children," huh? I think I have a few things to say about that.
If anyone had any doubt in their mind: I never got a response.
Post a Comment