Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Marry Me!!!

Quick, Marry me! Proposition 8, the hateful ballot measure that made it illegal for same-sex people to get married in California, was overturned today!

It can still be appealed but the first huge hurdle has been won so it's time to celebrate!

1 comment:

Dreki said...

I'm pretty sure both sides have agreed they want to go to the supreme court- so it definitely isn't over, but this is a step in the right direction.
Someone on facebook said they read the ruling (all 138 pages of it @_@ I hope it was double spaced...) and it'll be hard to argue with. Yes means Yes posted the abridged version of 38 of the "findings of fact" here. I think it's really solid- mostly about how the whole prop 8 campaign was based on same-legal-sex relationships being less than same-opposite-sex relationships, which is discriminatory, and that children of same-legal-sex couples aren't any worse off and could benefit form same-legal-sex marriage.