Friday, July 23, 2010

Jerry Springer on a [Long] Bus

I'm less than four hours from wheels-up on an 80 hour bus trip to Canada. Just yesterday my partner and I got harassed by a city bus operator who yelled back "Do I have to listen to that shit all the way to Palo Alto?" Well, this is a lot longer and you bet we're worried about harassment and discrimination both from other passengers and from the bus line. I'm going into another country.

You bet I'm nervous.

Tell all y'all how it went when I get off in Canada land!

4 comments:

Dardrian said...

I hope everything goes well. :)

Clairese Lippincott said...

The difference between the USA and Canada, is that in the US, the bus driver has the right to voice his opinion. In Canada, they have all manner of speech laws that restrict an honest expression of opinion.

When there is free speech, you may hear things that you disagree with, but you may also have the freedom to perhaps have an uncensored exchange of ideas.

Without freedom of speech, the darkest ideas are left to fester, and given all the more power as they are whispered, out of range of government probes, among the masses.

Better to have what you feel are offensive words out in the open, where they can be judged on their own merits in the bright light of public discourse.

Enjoy your visit to the People's Republic of Canada, where you can be jailed for merely saying what is on your mind.

The Untoward Lady said...

@Dardrian: Why thank you!

@Clairese Lippencott:

I don't even know where to begin in response to what you wrote. So much of it is just so... ignorant of Canadian law and culture, and ignorant of American law as well.

Also, I'm simply tired of people with too much unchecked privilege trying to tell me that their right to express their bigotry trumps my right to basic humanity.

Linda Schmidt said...

The immature view of rights and freedoms is demonstrated in the comments of Clairese Lippincott. The "it's all about me" syndrome is what is wrong with misunderstanding the purpose of free speech laws.

Whether in the US or in Canada, people have free speech. Maturity, compassion, empathy and morality all combine to recognize that one has the freedom of speech to express themselves; however, one does not have the freedom of speech to use as a weapon to trample on other peoples' freedoms.

We have rednecks in Canada who lack the understanding and respect for their freedoms to recognize those freedoms are extended to all citizens. Clearly, those rednecks also exist in the US.

An "uncensored exchange of ideas" does not rise from bigotted behaviour that attempts to isolate someone who may appear to be incapable of dealing with ignorant comments. That is bullying, and nothing good rises from those types of actions.

An "uncensored exchange of ideas" arises from research combined with opinion, and can only be practised by those with a mind sufficiently open to listen and absorb and process the comments of others.