I consider myself a deeply spiritual person. Yet, at the same time I believe in the biological nature of the mind and, if you will, the soul. It is from this position that I find it so difficult to communicate my spirituality to others. I do not feel that it lends itself to words very easily. The following was a comment I made on a friend's blog which I feel speaks a great deal to who I am as a spiritual human being:
I do believe that the juxtaposition of biology, the idea that we are but our mortal body, and spirituality, the idea that we are more than that, is a false dichotomy. I feel the two are a dichotomy only if you believe that the higher meaning is a distinct entity from the being; that in order to embrace higher meaning we must abandon the carnal.
I do not believe we do. I believe we can seek and attain true meaning in our lives without having to abandon our mortality. I believe we can be truly meaningful without having to be more than just biology. I do not believe that we need to persevere after our deaths to be meaningful. Our actions, what we stand for, and who we are matter and truly mean something in the here-and-now.
We are of this world and when we make our world a better place, even for a moment, that moment matters.
For me, it is these moments which give my life real meaning. I will die. Someday, I will be forgotten. Yet, for the here-and-now what I do matters even for a little while. And that matters, that gives who I am meaning.
Hello world!
1 year ago
No comments:
Post a Comment